13.10.08

¡Ay, caramba!

image source: LOLcats

So yesterday, I decided to try one of those hair rinse recipes that are all over the Internet. A splash of apple cider vinegar, a handful of water, and over the hair it goes.
Mind you, I don't believe in exact proportions and all that, so as I'm bending over in the shower to screw the cap back on the bottle of apple cider vinegar (straight from the kitchen of course; where's the fun in home remedies if it's not?)...well, you can imagine where all the liquidy goodness decided to go. Did I mention that vinegar is acidic?
The funny thing is, I had just been reading through the Darwin Award archives (go and read it, if you haven't already. It'll either be the funniest or saddest thing you have ever read), and all I could think of was how my entry would read:

Sour Loser
(13 October, 2008, Michigan) Sometimes folk medicine kills. Last night, instead of reaching for a hair rinse, 21 year old Starry emptied half a bottle of vinegar into her hair, before placing the glass bottle on the edge of of the bathtub. Commercial vinegar has a pH of around 2.4, vastly below that of, say, the human eye...[cont. on next page]

But on the bright side, my hair is nice and shiny, my face is probably cleaner than it has ever been, and my eyeballs are now pH balanced. Or something.
.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
So what are some home remedies you have tried? Hopefully something that won't try to kill me, but I'm open to any suggestions!

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

This had me lulsing in my chair. I work in a naturopathic health store, and accidentally broke a bottle of apple cider vinegar all down my leg. I stank for the entire day.

If you didn't already know, apple cider vinegar is a potent natural anti-inflammatory, thought to lower cholesterol, and when combined with honey can be effective in treating rheumatic conditions and arthritis. Yippee.

Despite encyclopedic knowledge of "natural" remedies, I've usually too chicken to try any. I made my own mixing medium, and that's about it.